Re: [SLUG] The skies have darkened

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Aug 29 2001 - 21:57:41 EDT

DMCA is a very minor part of the overall problem.

The real problem is that a foreign national is being prosecuted in the US for
an act performed in his own country. Of course the act just happens to be
legal there.
Reminds on of the old Soviet Union's legal system.
To understand this lets reverse it.
Lets suppose that that Dmitri is a US citizen and that he wrote a financial
program in the US.
He is then invited to Moscow to explain the program where he is immediately
jailed and charged the financial crime of not working for the state (the
people) and being a capitalists (an enemy of the people). The Soviets of
course protest that since their law are people laws they applies to all
world citizens in all locations world wide.

Frank

Sorry, any future comments by me will be made on the political list.