Re: [SLUG] Inexpensive Tape Drive

From: Robert Haeckl (rhaeckl@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Aug 30 2001 - 13:55:54 EDT

 cut>
> Bottom line is - Keep it simple and fast. If you can, make it fun - or have
> someone else do it.
 cut>

Actually, the intent is to have fun learning to use 'dump' and 'restore'
to a tape device. I've already backed up to CD, Zip, HD, etc. I just
want to try something else, a purely non-random access device. If
anybody has any experience with
Onstream/Exabyte/Colorado/HP/Digital/Sony/IBM tape products, I would
appreciate any comparative input.

Thanks for all the advice, guys.

By the way, has anybody tried using the floppy as a nonrewind tape
device, just for the fun of it? Can you use the 'mt' command on it?

-Robert