Re: [SLUG] Server project for non for profit organization

From: Jim Wildman (jim@rossberry.com)
Date: Thu Aug 30 2001 - 12:55:17 EDT

I'm rather partial to the autoppp option in pppd. It is not well
documented, but works great once it is setup.

Something like this goes in rc.local
/usr/sbin/pppd file /etc/ppp/autoopts

With something like this in /etc/ppp/autoopts
--- begin autoopts ---
asyncmap 0
mru 576
mtu 576
lock
defaultroute
demand
# this times out after 10 minutes
idle 600
persist
noipdefault
ipcp-accept-local
ipcp-accept-remote
# you have to have chap-secrets and pap-secrets setup right
user "username_from_chap-secrets_pap-secrets"
remotename remote_id_from_chap-secrets_pap-secrets
# set for your port
ttyS3 115200 crtscts
# need a valid chat script
connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/call.bw'
-- end autoopts --

Firewall commands can go in ip-up.local if you wish, as well as
commands to drop a copy of your ip somewhere accessible like this..
-- begin ip-up.local --
#!/bin/sh
#
#
# append the ip address to the log file
# no need to determine the ip, pppd will call this script
# with $4 set to the new ip
echo $4 > /var/www/html/sysinfo/rossppp.log

# put the current date and time into the log file
/bin/date >> /var/www/html/sysinfo/rossppp.log

#
# stuff the log file onto www.somewhere.com/my.ip
using scp, ftp, rcp or whatever

-- end ip-up.local --