[SLUG] Server project for non for profit organization

From: Michael K. Dittmeier (mike@bluecrabtech.com)
Date: Thu Aug 30 2001 - 11:27:15 EDT

I am trying to setup a Red Hat Linux 7.1 server for a non-profit
organization that will use a dial up modem connection for internet access.
The server will act as a Squid Proxy/Cache server, as well as send and
receive email from remote pop accounts. The network consists of 6 to 8
Windows clients (not my choice) and 1 Linux Red Hat 7.1 workstation. All
workstations and the server are connected via a 3com super stack II 10/100
switch.

And now the question...

How do I make the Linux Server dial out to the internet when a client
workstation (i.e.: windows client) request a website or any url/ip address
of a WAN or internet address. I also need to configure the server to active
the ppp connection to the internet for sendmail to send email to the
internet, and fetchmail to active the ppp connection when it needs to
retrieve email.

I have been looking for a related howto but have not found one that
incorporates the right mixture yet...
I am willing to document a howto if I can gather enough info to make it
work.

I have a jpg that I can email if you need further examples of the network
layout.

Mike Dittmeier