Re: [SLUG] Server project for non for profit organization

From: Scott Piper (piper@ij.net)
Date: Thu Aug 30 2001 - 17:10:38 EDT

Until we were able to get DSL here at my office, I had a linux server connect
to the internet on demand by dialup, and it worked pretty well as long as web
browsing was the predominant activity. This was for 6 users - 5 on Windows
and myself on Linux. I used the demand option of ppp as Jim mentioned, and
the program dnrd for a small dns cache, which means the linux server was the
domain name server for the network.

If I remember, ppp had to be on in the background and then when there was a
request for something outside the lan, it would dial up the connection. I
used Debian so the ppp options are in /etc/ppp/peers, but they were pretty
much as Jim stated, except I seem to remember having one like

10.17.163.11:10.17.163.45

which tells ppp that the local ip address is the one on the left, and the
remote one on the right (which will be changed once the connection is made to
the isp so it can be anything in your subnet)

Anyway, then you have to have your firewall rules set up, which I can send you
the ones I used if you would like to take a look and modify them.

Here's a site I found that shows another way of doing it using RedHat

http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles%2Farchive%2Fg0901%2F45g01%2F45g01%2Easp

scott