RE: [SLUG] Server project for non for profit organization

From: Michael K. Dittmeier (mike@bluecrabtech.com)
Date: Fri Aug 31 2001 - 08:47:35 EDT

lmhosts and hosts files are not needed. the smb protocol will do a browser
announcement that will populate the master browser (usually the first pc
booted on a peer to peer) within 15 minutes. lmhosts and host files will
just lead to more errors in name resolution in the long run if they don't
match up. I have not used them in years. I have 5 computers of varying types
and os and I am able to see all of them from my windows box without the
assistance (henderance) of hosts and lmhosts files.

Mike DIttmeier