RE: [SLUG] Frank's Computer Networking Problems - Continued

From: Grantham, Patrick (Patrick.Grantham@vacationclub.com)
Date: Fri Aug 31 2001 - 09:17:52 EDT

IF you ping a host name listed in your LMHOSTS file AND get another IP, then
some other service is returning an IP before the win box parses the LMHOSTS.
LMHOSTS is used with MS LAN manager. MS implementation of tcp/ip uses the
HOSTS file. The win box may not even been parsing the LMHOSTS at all once
that erroneous IP is returned. I suggest copying the file LMHOSTS to HOSTS.
You should only need a hosts file and not an LHHOSTS file. Also, you can
change the resolution order and move priority of the hosts (or LMHOSTS)
file. There is a MS white paper on how change the order and force the Win
box to parse the hosts file first. When faced with the same problem, I
found my solution by hard coding the IP of the Linux box (whose was acting
as the NT domain controller) into the primary wins setting on the win box
AND copying the LMHOSTS file to hosts. I no longer edit the LMHOSTS file.
The only entries I place in the hosts file are those for Linux box an
network print servers (HP, even a couple of Axis). I did not have to edit
the registry. Having done this this, there is a hang time of 2-3 seconds on
the win boxes during login. However, all is ok and has been for the past 5
months. Incidentally, my largest implementation of the Linux NT domain
controlled network is ALSO a non-profit site.

I may have said it before, but I find swat an invaluable tool too.

good luck.