Re: [SLUG] Inexpensive Tape Drive

From: Bill (selinux@home.com)
Date: Fri Aug 31 2001 - 22:48:17 EDT

On Friday 31 August 2001 18:58, you wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 12:08:57PM -0400, Bill Ehlert wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Second, awhile back, Paul posted a problem about getting
> > errors while transferring files between computers using
> > floppy diskettes. I
>
> Oh, I have tons of them, but when I start to have problems I
> switch to pristeen ones. I still have the problem, which I
> suspect is from marginal drives.

parm me fer buttin' in here ... but if the drives are at all
old, try running a cleaning diskette with a little 90proof
alcohol on the wiping surface. No ... not Smirnoff. :-) That,
and a good vacuuming seems to resurrect a lot of "bad floppies".

It may not help ... but I have known lots of times when that was
all that was really needed. As long as you don't lose it, the
cleaning floppy will last purt near forever. When you run out of
the fancy-pants cleaning solution, substitute 90 proof rubbing
alcohol. (70 proof leaves a residue).

Bill

--
icq # 126373831
"If I wager for and God is -- infinite gain;