[SLUG] (FWD) October statewide conference

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Sep 03 2001 - 15:42:08 EDT

(For those of you who don't know, Henry White was the original President
of SLUG, oh so many years ago. He passed the baton, and started the Polk
County LUG.)

----- Forwarded message from res09gkq@verizon.net -----

From: res09gkq@verizon.net
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 04:09:37 +0000
To: Henry White <res09gkq@verizon.net>
Subject: October statewide conference

The Polk County LUG will be presenting one of the roundtable
discussions at the fall statewide conference for FACUG (Florida
Association of Computer Users Groups - http://www.facug.org/)
Saturday, October 13 in Mulberry (just south of Lakeland).

Our topic is integrating Open Source solutions - in business,
institutions, and at home.

The panel will consist of

        Adam Glass (FLUX, Ft. Lauderdale)
        Anthony Awtrey (MLUG, Melbourne)
        Ed Centanni (SLUG, Tampa)
        Steve Litt (LEAP, Orlando)
        Henry White (PCLUG, Lakeland)

Naturally, you and the all Linux users are cordially invited to
attend! The schedule and registration forms are at

        http://www.facug.org/01fallroundtable.htm
        http://www.facug.org/01fallreg.htm

It's impossible to adequately cover everything we would like to in
the allotted 80-90 minutes, so we're preparing a handout with an
extensive, annotated list of links for further information. That's
where we could really use your input ;-) If you have a good source
for anything related to integrating Open Source into a Windows
environment, let me know and I'll try to include as many of them as
I can. If the information is not currently online, we'll try to
get it online before the conference in October.

This is a semi-annual conference primarily for training new
officers and leaders, and is open to ALL users regardless of OS or
membership in FACUG. Previous conferences have had essentially the
same schedule of roundtables over one or two days, and attendance
has historically been 120-150.

At the moment, there is no current list of vendors who will be
there. There is a list online at http:/www.facug.org/vendurls.htm
from those that participated in the spring conference
and previous ones. I know that O'Reilly, SSC (Linux Journal),
IBM, LinuxCare and many other Linux vendors have been invited.

At the very least, we plan to have a copy of a current distribution
for everyone who registers, as well as the annotated links
mentioned above, a list of the LUGs around the state (website,
contact person, meeting schedule), and several working machines
for demos.

--
Henry White
mailto:henry.white@verizon.net