Re: [SLUG] Frank's Computer Networking Problems - Continued

From: Steven Johnson (alinuxguru@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Sep 03 2001 - 21:24:43 EDT

----Original Message Follows----
>Well ... it AINT "wins.dat" but is this the file you were referring to?

>[root@a bill]# cat /var/lock/samba/browse.dat
>"@HOME" c0001000 "A" "@HOME"
>"A" 40049a03 "Samba Server 2.2.0" "@HOME"
>"CC289192-A" 40412003 "k7-800" "@HOME"

First off, I commend you on your choice of machine names. It had never
occured to me to encrypt my host names before. :)

Now the good bad news, or is it the bad good news? We discovered the source
of the problem. Just like the four windows NT node types, there are two
linux database files.

The first, the one I was hoping to find is wins.dat. This is the file that
should be there if the linux box, via the smb.conf file is configured as a
WINS Server (H-Node). The file you are seeing, the browse.dat file, is
the file used if the Linux box is the master browser (B-Node).

So, what that is saying is somewhere in the smb.conf file is, what we refer
to in the technical community as, a booboo. Somewhere in the [global]
section we are telling it to be the WINS server and to be the master
browser. We just need to discover where. So, can you please send us a copy
of your [global] section. Don't send the whole smb.conf file - that will
just confuse me.

>Both log.smbd and log.nmbd complained they were already running;
user "nobody" is bugging smbd(IIRC) and both of them are looking for a
unicode map they can not find.

This is a problem that I cannot help you with. However, it is probably
trivial. Hopefully, someone with more current knowledge of where/how the
unicode files are stored can chime in.

>------ Do not read this if you are afraid of the registry > ------- This
>can be set from the registry by editing
the key > \Registry\Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Para
>meters NodeType = REG_DWORD 0x00000008

I'm not afraid o' no stinkin' registry :-) but the above tree (Win98)
appears to actually be:
\Registry\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\InetInfo\Parameters

There is, at present, no "NodeType". This leads me to ask whether you wish
me
to modify a (non-existent) NodeType if it exists or to create a new one if
there is not one presently. Specifically, since there is no NetBT branching,
is InetInfo a proper alternative location?

Damn registry hives are different between 9x and NT. According to
Microsoft, the location is
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP

It does not really matter since the ipconfig /all shows the right node type.