Re: [SLUG] Frank's Computer Networking Problems - Continued

From: Steven Johnson (alinuxguru@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Sep 01 2001 - 18:29:45 EDT

You shall be the death of us all.

----Original Message Follows----

>Now ... where the heck is this wins.da file?

Sorry, do not have a linux box on my network anymore. I believe it is in
/var/logs. But this is where the find command comes in.

find . -name wins.dat -print

>Neither of the Windows boxes will confess to having it and
>neither will the Linux boxes.

The wins.dat file will be on the linux box. This is your wins database
file.

> Get rid of your lmhosts file and empty out your hosts file.

>renamed both files

I believe you will need the hosts file for the loopback entry. Just remove
all of the entries that do not begin with 127.0.0.1

> You want to get fancy and do this right? Set up the Linux box
> as the WINS server and point the Windows boxes to it. Under
> the [global] section add the lines:
>

>I hope you meant [global] ... as in /etc/smb.conf ; 'cause
>that's where I put that stuff.

Yep, that is where I meant.

> wins support = yes
> name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast
> OS Level = 99
>
> if you want the Samba server to use your DNS settings if it
> cannot find an entry in WINS, add the line:
>
> dns proxy = yes

didit

> Then, in the TCP/IP Properties of the Windows boxes set the
> primary wins server entry to point to the Linux box.
>
>didit too ... keyed the IP in and clicked "ADD"

I assume that you rebooted both of your Windows boxes when prompted?

> Restart nmbd and then watch your wins.dat file grow like a
> chia pet before your very eyes.

#nmbd restart

WHAT wins.dat file? Where?

>Wish there was someone local who would help me set this up. I'm
>oing futz here.

Where is local?