Re: [SLUG] Frank's Computer Networking Problems - Continued

From: Bill (selinux@home.com)
Date: Sun Sep 02 2001 - 04:01:40 EDT

On Saturday 01 September 2001 14:31, you wrote:
> You shall be the death of us all.
>
> ----Original Message Follows----
>
> >Now ... where the heck is this wins.da file?
>
> Sorry, do not have a linux box on my network anymore. I
> believe it is in /var/logs. But this is where the find
> command comes in.
>
> find . -name wins.dat -print

That sounded fair. So I gave it a shot; fiddling with the syntax
as I went:

[root@a bill]# find . -name wins.dat-print #nope
[root@a bill]# find -name wins.dat-print #more nope
[root@a bill]# find -name wins.dat -print #all outta nope
[root@a bill]#

in fact, slightly modified, that 'name' command won't find
smb.conf, either.
[root@a bill]# find . -name smb.conf-print #nope
[root@a bill]# find -name smb.conf-print #more nope
[root@a bill]# find -name smb.conf -print #<doom>
[root@a bill]#

I tried all the syntax variations that made sense to me for find
so I next tried a simple "ls"

[root@a bill]# ls /var/
apache-mm/ db/ lock/ mail@ portsentry/ spool/ www/
cache/ lib/ log/ nis/ preserve/ tmp/
catman/ local/ logcheck/ opt/ run/ webmin/

"log" is pretty close to "logs" so I gave that a shot:

[root@a bill]# ls /var/log
(lotsa stuff before the w's)
webmin/ wtmp wtmp.1.gz

hmmmm ... no help there.

locate isn't much help either

[root@a bill]# updatedb
[root@a bill]# locate wins.dat
[root@a bill]#

Okay ... let's modify that a tad to just "wins"

[root@a bill]# locate wins
/lib/libnss_wins.so.2
and about 23 others

[root@a bill]# locate wins | wc

So I tried the command
[root@a bill]# locate .dat

 and that yielded a BUNCH of .dat files!

[root@a bill]# locate .dat | wc
    494 495 23420

unfortunately none of them was the prized wins.dat file. :-(

(big clip)

> I assume that you rebooted both of your Windows boxes when
> prompted?

Yep ... several times. Then I waved the rubber chicken for
several minutes and dropped seven lucky peanuts into a can of
Mr. Pibbs and chugged it while dancing backwards. It still isn't
working.

 > Restart nmbd and then watch your wins.dat file grow like a
 > chia pet before your very eyes.

Mom wouldn't let us have pets in the house. :-(

> >Wish there was someone local who would help me set this up.
> > I'm going futz here.
>
> Where is local?

Detroit :-)
Bill

--
icq # 126373831
"If I wager for and God is -- infinite gain;