Re: [SLUG] Install ?'s

From: MK (Mkski63@home.com)
Date: Sat Sep 08 2001 - 10:04:54 EDT

Hello Everyone,
I've been doing quite a bit of reading about installing RedHat Linux 7.1 in
a multi boot environment and I'm just about ready to make the jump. I
already have a dual boot box using Win98SE and Me. My first question is,
since I'm using BootMagic already, can I create my 2 Linux partitions (both
logical drives within extended partitions that will be the / and swap
partitions) with PartitionMagic, then when diskdruid comes up during the
Linux install just set the mount points(is that the correct term)? Second,
will it allow me to specify where I install LILO during the install? I've
seen issues where people with setups similar to what I'm attempting can't
boot Linux unless they use a boot disk or they can't boot either of their
original OS's. I'm thinking that it may be because 1) They didn't install
LILO, thinking they already had a boot manager installed. 2) They installed
LILO and it overwrote BootMagic in the MBR and it doesn't have entries for
the Win OS's. Or 3) They haven't pointed an option in BootMagic to go to
where they have LILO installed. I'm under the impression that I'm to create
my partitions then go into BootMagic and set an option that points to the
first Linux partition (/) where I should install LILO to.... Does this sound
like I'm on the right track? Could I point it to a second physical drive if
I had one installed? I would really like to get this installed this weekend.
Anyone out there have their system set up like I'm attempting to do? Thank
you in advance for any and all help offered. By the way, this is all on a 25
Gig hard drive. My two existing partitions are 8 Gig's each with the rest as
unallocated space right now. I may be able to install a separate 6 Gig drive
in the box if it will make life easier.

Michael