RE: [SLUG] Install ?'s

From: Ted Fletcher (fletchtr@eckerd.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 08 2001 - 10:42:01 EDT

I'm running Win98 (gaming), Win2000 Professional (business), and Red Hat
7.1(pleasure). Here's what i did. It's more difficult when you have an NT
version of windows to boot with because NT has it's own LILO that resides in
the MBR. That's besides the point though.

1. make sure you defrag your drives to organize all of your data to the
front of your drive.

2. first, get your partitions set using the cool Disk Druid that is in the
installation process of Red Hat 7.1

3. don't touch anything that is Fat32 (your windows stuff). Red Hat's Disk
Druid will autodetect how you want your partitions set up. (leaving the
windows partitions alone)

4. then ya got the fun part of Disk Druid. Selecting the mount points. all
you need to do is enter a "/" as your mount point for your root directory.
the other partition is labeled "LINUX" and doesn't need a mount point. (It
mounts behind the swap)

5. do not install LILO on your MBR. You will have the choice given to you.
You just want LILO installed on the front of the Linux partitions.

6. now go through the installation process and pray to God that all of your
I/O devices are detected ;-) and get RED HAT 7.1 up and running. BE SURE TO
CREATE A BOOT DISK WITH A BLANK FLOPPY.

7. take your boot floppy out and reboot your machine.........chances are
that boot magic will autodetect everything but don't get upset if it
doesn't. (it's an easy fix)

now if it works ......you're all done........if not......here's what you do.

1. Enter in that boot disk for Linux you created and reboot your machine.
Enter the KDE (K Desktop Environment) and go into your Kontrol Panel. (kinda
like Control Panel in Windows) There is a "LILO" icon that will allow you
to edit LILO through a GUI to point to your partitions. Go to the second
TAB and click on Detect OS's. This should do pick out all three of your
OS's. Then save and close the LILO application. Now reboot the computer
without the boot disk and it should work fine. Here's how mine is set up.

hda = my first hard drive
hdb = my second hard drive

hda1 = front of first hard drive (probably windows ME for you)
hda2 = next partition on same drive. (probably Win98 for you)
hda3 = another partition created on your first hard drive (probably Linux if
you're running all three off of one hard drive
hdb1 = second hard drive
hdb2 = next partition on second hard drive.

hda1 - Windows 2000 Professional
hda2 - Red Hat Linux 7.1
hdb1 - Windows 98

hope this helps ya out michael........i'll be off and on the machine all day
today and actually doing a couple of Linux installs at work later in the
afternoon. Lemme know if this works out for you. I've been in your
predicament many a times and found it very fulfilling once you get all those
OS's up and running off the hard disk.

TED FLETCHER - MEMBER SINCE AUGUST 31, 2001