Re: [SLUG] good wirelrss net cards

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Sun Sep 16 2001 - 22:01:09 EDT

R P Herrold wrote:
> Hi, Bryan -- I see you a lot on the SVLUG as well of late.

Yes. No football this weekend, a lot of time. ;-PPP

> The linux-wlan pages do not expressly call out support for the
> Orinocco / Wavelan (formerly of Lucent). Any technical
> reason?

First off, I've only been with AVS for a little over a month.

Secondly, I believe the Wavelan uses the Prism MACs. As such, are
you asking why we don't have it there? Or if it is supported? The
web site is kinda outta date. Sorry about that.

We are working on getting the chipset support up from 2 to 20 in the
coming months (seriously ;-). The downside is that a lot of these
new chipsets are "MACless" and that requires a _lot_ of work, on our
part, to create drivers. And then there are some political issues I
cannot talk about. Simply put, the wireless world is turning into a
lot like the Winmodem one -- but were doing our damnest to make sure
we have Linux drivers.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith    mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413