Re: [SLUG] good wirelrss net cards

From: David Little (dml@lmd.net)
Date: Sun Sep 16 2001 - 22:19:26 EDT

I can't speak for exactly how well support is coming along in linux for
every one of its features, but I use a 3Com XJACK (silly name, nice concept)
WiFi card with RedHat 7.1 and it does work extremely well - right out of the
box. This card is, to my knowledge, the only one available with a
retractable antenna. I couldn't imagine having to use anything else again,
especially since I am quite mobile with my laptop almost every day, so
taking the thing in and out constantly is a major hassle.

There are probably cards with better support, if you don't need the
retractable antenna - but it's a huge benefit. It's a bit pricey though,
compared to the ``static antenna'' ones (at least it was when I bought it).
However, I think it's way more than worth the slight price premium.

-- Dave