[SLUG] Open Source E-Commerce Solutions

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2001 - 00:01:36 EDT

I've got a customer that I've set up with my ISP (XO), and we're also
setting up e-commerce for her. On the low end, XO uses something called
Miva, which is, nearest I can figure, like a proprietary sort of PHP.
Docs suck, interface sucks, etc. (Can you tell I don't like it? You
know, this is the first time in years I've had to deal with a company
that puts out proprietary software that I have to use and get support
for. I'd forgotten how it felt. Irks me.)

Anyway, XO is running on Sun boxes with Apache as their web server, and
you have the ability to run your own CGIs, Perl, Python and PHP from
your domain. So I'm looking for an alternative to this Miva crap.

I don't want to pick an e-commerce package off freshmeat and later
find out it sucks. Anyone have any experience with open source
e-commerce packages, like which ones work best, etc.?

Paul