Re: [SLUG] PDF Encryption

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2001 - 19:57:14 EDT

SOTL wrote:
> No sorry. I have RH 7.1.
> The Mandrake I have is 7.1 which works very well with my cheap
> $30 video card but does not work with my Nvidio card.

If you have an nVidia card, you should be using XFree86 4.x and
nVidia's Linux drivers. Nothing like gaming on a reliable platform
that offers a superior gaming experience. God the Windows vendors
could learn about 10 things from Loki, although the underlying
platform is largely the reason. God does DirectX suck -- but I
won't go into it here (I'd have to dispell a lot of falicies of the
"DirectX is superior to OpenGL" arguement).

> Talking about distributions it is mid September. When should the
> next SuSE, RH, and Mandrake come out?

RedHat 7.2 is currently in beta -- 7.1.94, codenamed "Roswell," the
second sighting. And even when it is not, you can always grab the
latest packages via their "Rawhide" archive. I usually dip into
Rawhide when I need the latest software. If I'm unsure about the
compatibility, I compile from the Source RPM (SRPM). It is only a
single command to do so.

The only "issue" with RedHat is that they "push the envelope" with
every X.0 release -- plus they released 7.0 a good two months early
(using beta releases of select packages). But those of us who know
_avoid_ RedHat X.0 releases -- but it's good to have a company who
"goes first" that everyone can follow. Plus they have a .0-.1-.2
release approach that is very trusted by many of us longtime Linux
sysadmins, which includes very well-tested packages (regardless of
release). Lastly, they are "GPL-anal" in their original software
releases, so they and Debian make the best two "industry standard
Linux distros" IMHO.

After extensive evaluation over the years, I find Mandrake is just
too broken. It has a great installer and admin package for newbies,
and most mainstream systems and applications are well tested against
the packages, but lesser used hardware and/or system applications
are far from well tested IMHO. As such, I find so many breaks in
the software everywhere. And it's sad that even after reporting
them, they go unfixed for several revisions (I even sent a patch
once). I would _never_ use Mandrake on a primary file server --
especially for UNIX clients. That is just my opinion based on
trying to use it on production, corporate networks over the years --
especially since they play "version marketing" games on their
release numbers (although that finally seems to be coming to an end
with 8.0 -- Thank God!).

SuSE is a solid distro and, supposedly, the favorite of Linus
himself (at least it was for several years). If you are looking for
many of the features of Mandrake, I'd look at SuSE instead. Well
tested, endless packages (especially in the boxed sets), and a good
admin tool in YaST. And they have a well-established version
numbering methodology akin to RedHat. VALinux even used to use some
of their kernels and support packages in their customized RedHat
releases for their systems. Probably the only downside, at least to
some, is that SuSE is not a "GPL-anal" company -- but that's fine in
most cases (although I wouldn't want them to have the greatest
marketshare).

> PS. Paul is the one trying to read PDF files not me. I only took
> a look at my distribution so that I could help out a wee bit.

Just get Adobe Acrobat Reader. It takes about 2 seconds to install,
and about 60 seconds to setup the symlink required for in-browser
viewing.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413