Re: [SLUG] running xrpm as root

From: herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 11:50:44 EDT

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Bryan-TheBS-Smith wrote:

> Carson Wilcox wrote:
> > Andrew,
> > Thanks, I should have mentioned that I had tried that,
> > but still get the same error??
>
> Did you do it as root or the user logged in to X-Windows? You need
> to do the latter, not the former.

hmmm ... lots safer to do:

1. Log in as a normal user
2. ssh root@localhost
        (This sets the X-Display up correctly)
3. as root: xrpm &

--------

Additionally, the sudo package is available, and would allow:

    sudo xrpm

directly as a regular user.

--------

The LESS time you spend as root, as a relatively new sysadmin, the
less likely you are to damage your system. Nothing wrrong with
intentiojnally trying stuff which is dangerous on a box you are
willing to rebuild at a moment's notice, but not your persnal
production box.

Which distribution is developing and maintaining 'xrpm' ?

-- Russ