Re: [SLUG] running xrpm as root

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 09:09:50 EDT

Carson Wilcox wrote:
> When I su to root and run xrpm I get the following
> errors:
> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server

Answer:
   Have the X-Windows user logged in run:
      "xhost root" or
      "xhost localhost"

For more info:
   "man 1 xhost"

The above error is your X-Server enforcing security. You see,
X-Windows is a true, network-enabled, display environment running
atop of your true, network-enabled, multiuser OS. You don't want
other people launching applications on your desktop.

Some distributions automatically allow root access to any local
X-Display. Others allow anyone on the local system. Some, notably
Caldera, allow anything anywhere (with "xhost +"), which is a huge
security issue.

If you have two UNIX systems, try the following out:

   System 1: "mycomp1"
      "xhost +"

   System 2: "mycomp2"
      "export DISPLAY=mycomp1:0.0"
      "xrpm" (or any other X-Windows program)

Note where the window went. This is *NOT* the same as merely
running an application whose files sit on a file server, but you are
running the program completely on one system, and only pumping the
display, and associated input, from another.

Citrix has brought some of this capability to Windows with WinFrame,
and Microsoft has repackaged it in NT Terminal Server.
Unfortunately, it is not quite as extensive as X-Windows'
capabilities (although for low-speed lines, X-Windows could learn a
thing or two) -- especially when it comes to 3-D. OpenGL can be
remotely displayed using GLX (OpenGL X-Windows). There is nothing
like a back-end Linux cluster doing complex calculations and
displaying to a single GLX front-end. ;-PPP

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith    mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413
Engineer   AbsoluteValue Systems, Inc.  http://www.linux-wlan.org