Re: [SLUG] Burning CD with Redhat 7.1 Kernal 2.4.3-12

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 08:06:34 EDT

On Wednesday 19 September 2001 06:44 am, Mike Manchester wrote:
> Jason;
> I thought you may been on to something. After selecting the -tao option in
> stead of the -dao option the cd started to burn. Got to 3% and locked my
> system up tighter than Windows. This is the problem I had (locking up my
> system) before I did the reinstall. One of the reasons I did the install
> was my purchase of RedHat 7.1 from Redhat for the 30 days free support.
> Figuring I could contact them with the cd-rom problem should it still
> exists after reinstall. Well that's not the case they only support the
> install process :(
>
> I have reached the conclusion that RedHat linux since 6.4 (I could burn cds
> on 6.4) will not burn cd-roms. And I'm surely not going to spend Redhats
> $300 per incident to have this fixed. And the person that supports cdrecord
> is not at all helpful. I contacted him before when I was having the lock up
> problems. He said it was a Kernal problem but I have not idea how to
> submit a problem to the Linux kernal group.

Without details because I have not tried it in a couple of weeks this sounds
exactly like the problem I was having trying to burn my e-Smith download on
RH 7.1.
Point is the problem is not unique to your machine.
Thus I very much doubt that it is a hardware problem on either of our
machines.
That would make the kernel problem concept much more plausible.

All the problems we suddenly appear to be having reminds me of what I said
several months ago RH 7.1 is beta software and should be viewed as such.

Thanks
Frank