Re: [SLUG] Burning CD with Redhat 7.1 Kernal 2.4.3-12

From: Mike Manchester (mchester@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 09:37:18 EDT

Ron KA4INM Youvan wrote:

> Hi all slug@nks.net:
>
> > I have reached the conclusion that RedHat linux since 6.4 (I could burn cds on
> > 6.4) will not burn cd-roms.
>
> I find it hard to believe that any disto. of LINUX would have any
> problem burning a CDR, the most likely problems are the same kind
> of things that effect the helpless winblows users, interrupt conflects
> and mis-programming.

I find it hard to believe that the interrupts would change on the hardware between
installs. Unless there have been changes to the way interrupts are handled in the
kernal between 6.4 and 7.x which I'm begining to believe is the case. I've also
heard from others that have the same type of problem with the newer kernals.

> 100% of the process is in the burner, your program sends it some
> commands then keeps the buffer full.
> I have never had a problem, never used the X-system, just
> LINUX, I make all logs and review them all after every creation.
> I make Joilet for my niece and Rockridge for myself.
> I never had the buffer go below 94%, don't do other things at
> the same time. I go do something else for the 11 minutes.

I don't do anything during the burn. As it only lasts about 1 min before it fails.

> Never made a coaster. (a SCSI 6X CDR's and 4X CDRW's)

I've made lots of them. Let me know if you need any coasters :)

> I started to copy of a CDR with the X-system once, but I

I will try to use the command line to make a cdrom and see if I can get some log
files created.