Re: [SLUG] Kernel update

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 14:58:11 EDT

". ." wrote:
> I'm having trouble updating my kernel,, I did everything that I'm
> supposed to ,, make dep, make bzImage , make module, make module_install
> etc.. and also changed /etc/lilo.conf,

And ran "/sbin/lilo" to install the changes?

> but when I reset the computer and I chose my "new" kernel from LILO,
> I get this message
> Uncompressing Linux ... Ok, booting the kernel."
> and it just stops there..

Sounds like it found some kernel and just booted it. Unfortunately,
maybe the kernel/modules don't match, or you forget to compile in a
required driver (or make an initrd)?

Did you leave your old kernel in there too? And you should always
modify the kernel Makefile so you have a different tag than the old
one so you can have multiple sets of modules.

That way, even if you forget to modify lilo.conf and run lilo, you
can still boot your old kernel. Never overwrite it nor reuse the
same tag (i.e. forget to modify the Makefile) when building a new
one.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413