Re: [SLUG] Drive Imaging

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 14:51:55 EDT

Robert Haeckl wrote:
> Do you know of any gpl'ed utility that would keep track of changes in
> the filesystem as the imaging takes place (snapshot technology)?

Several. It depends on what you want to do. For drive imaging?
Security? Etc...???

Heck, for servers and workstations, I just use a combination of RPM
and RCS. Anytime I go to reconfigure something and the current
changes aren't registered with RCS, I scold the sysadmin who touched
it last.

I find many of the "snapshot technology" products out there don't
work quite correctly. Especially the tools from Microsoft itself.

> Not really much of a concern when backing up at night on a home
> computer but I'd still like to know if there is anything like this
> for home users or small systems.

Heck, for backups or even backup simulation, you can just use "dump"
itself.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413