[SLUG] SuSE Linux 7.1 Live Eval

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 20:21:52 EDT

Hi Gang:

You know those SuSE linux 7.1 Live Eval disks that Paul gives out at the
meetings.

Well I brought one home and stuck it in my spare RH 7.1 hard drive.
Since I know you folks are not following this let me explain. I have 2
HD for my new computer that are interchangeable due to the magic or
removal trays. One one of these I have my normal system but the other is
in effect a test system. Anyway the point of this was that on the test
system I had install RH 7.1 the other week without setting up any of its
parameters like speakers, burner, printer, scanner or internet. The
system was just sort of setting there on this spare test HD. Well I got
the bright idea that I might like to take a look at SuSE and Yast2 so I
stuck in the SuSE live Evil CD. Had an easy time of installation and
this may well be the best thing that you could do to improve a Win box
in the office where they will not let you have linux but I do not
recommend putting this disk in a linux box. It seems that the SuSE disk
places a new directory on the HD called /proc which I can not eliminate
as root. I get an error message "Cannot delete file "/proc/1209/fd/0"
Operation not permitted (1). It also placed four files on the root
directory which was easily able to eliminate but I can not understand
not being able to return the system back to the initial conditions
before the SuSE Live Eval installation. I think maybe they misspelled
Eval. I believe that should be Live Evil. As far as installing this on a
Win box gosh knows it could only improve the situation but I would not
do it on any critical box as one never knows what such additional
directories and programs do. As for as my test box by the time you read
this that HD will have been reformatted and another installation
installed. I did not like the way I installed it the previous time.
Maybe the nest installation will be more to my liking after I try a
different set of options.

Thanks
Frank