[SLUG] Re: Dragon "Naturally Speaking"

From: dopler2@juno.com
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 21:02:01 EDT

     I have a friend with two computers who is using Dragon. She has two
Hewlett Packard Pavillion pc's. One is a model 6330, the other is a model
XE743. The Dragon program seems to run better on the XE743, which she
says is a couple of years newer.
     On the 6330 Dragon seems to run glacierly slow. It takes forever to
run even the simplest training session, and even straight dictation takes
forever. On the XE743 things run much better. I just completed two simple
training sessions which ran quite well. However, in the midst of an
extended third, the XE743 crashed.
     Now the 6330 has 48 meg of memory, and a lot of software loaded on
it. No idea how much free space is left on the hard drive. I'm
speculating that more memory might be needed, but she thinks she just
needs to delete extraneous files and optimize, etc.
      Wonder if Dragon would run better with the LINUX emulator for
Windows, WINE?

Frank Starr

On Wed, 19 Sep 2001 08:08:41 -0400 "\"Robin \\\"Roblimo\\\" Miller\""
<robin@roblimo.com> writes:

>> I've never used it, but I have seen demos and heard many good things
>> about IBM's ViaVoice for Linux.
>
>I have tried repeatedly to make ViaVoice work. Other people I know
>have
>tried, too. But the only times I have actually seen ViaVoice for Linux
>work is in demos conducted by IBM employees.
>
>The only voice to text program I have seen work at all reliably is
>Dragon "Naturally Speaking" for Windows.
>
>- Robin

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.