[SLUG] SecSIG - GPG key signing party @ ITSA day

From: Brian Coyle (brianc@magicnet.net)
Date: Sat Sep 22 2001 - 01:59:47 EDT

As part of the 4th annual ITSA day [0] events next week in Gainesville,
there will be a GPG [1] key signing party [2 and 3]. Since I'm
planning
to attend, I thought this would be a great opportunity to extend the
web of trust between the FLU group, LEAP, SLUG (any SLUGer's going to
ITSA?) and maybe even JAX-LUG (you lurking here Art? :)

Linux Journal recently published a series on GPG. Part one is available
online [4], and the second part is in the October issue. The online
article provides a good intro to Public Key crypto and GPG. It does an
excellent job of describing how the web of trust works.

Even if you're not going to attend ITSA, you can still expand your
keyring
using the web of trust. In a nutshell, if you trust my key and I
vouch for the FLU keys in my keyring, then you can trust those keys too.
This trust is dependent on validating the keyholder identity and key
signature thru activities like a keysigning party. The more people that
vouch for a key, the more trustworthy it can be.

If you're interested in participating, you may want to read up on
GPG and how it works. Then generate your keys [5] and come to the
InstallFest [6] on October 6th where LEAP can have our own little
keysigning party. I'll post further instructions and procedures
as we get closer to the InstallFest date.

                                        -- Brian

[0] http://www.itsa.ufl.edu/
[1] http://www.gnupg.org/
[2] http://lists.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind01&L=linux-l&F=&S=&P=338757
[3] http://www.e-techservices.com/events/key_signing_party.html
[4] http://www2.linuxjournal.com/lj-issues/issue89/4828.html
[5] GnuPG 1.0.6 is the latest and you should upgrade due to some
    vulnerabilities. GnuPG 1.0.4 came with my Mandrake 8.0 beta3...
[6] http://www.leap-cf.org/ifest.php3?meeting=next

--
Redundancy?  You can say that again!