Re: [SLUG] Burning CD with Redhat 7.1 Kernal 2.4.3-12 (fwd)

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Sat Sep 22 2001 - 09:59:36 EDT

Mike Manchester wrote:
> Are you saying my motherboard is having trouble with the newer Maxtor
> harddrive?

No, I'm saying there is a long, documented set of issues with many
hard drives from many different vendors trying to switch to an
UltraDMA mode higher than the mainboard supports. Most vendors have
utilities that allow you to force the maximum mode supported.

The fact that you are running with a master/slave setup where the
hard drives also differ only complicates this.

> Should I be looking at getting a different motherboard or
> different harddrive?

Neither. You should be trying to force the hard drive into Ultra33
(UltraDMA mode 2). If you want to get some new hardware, consider
an off-board ATA controller and put one device per channel.

> what is this utility? And why 66/100 wouldn't I want a 100/33
> utility?

They have both an older update66 and a newer update100 utility.
That's all I meant. You'll probably want the update100 utility,
although I was able to use the update66 utility (which was designed
for drives through Ultra66/UltraDMA mode 4) to set even
Ultra100/UltraDMA mode 5 drives down to Ultra33/UltraDMA mode 2.

Let me see if I can find that utility ...
http://www.maxtor.com/products/DiamondMax/techsupport/TechnicalProcedures/21006.html

I have used it regularly to solve issues. Even on mainboards with
updated BIOSes.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith     mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413