Re: [SLUG] Ist of a dozen questions

From: Bill (selinux@home.com)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 12:20:50 EDT

On Monday 24 September 2001 00:26, you wrote:

> Now...For my first annoying and insolvable problem.
>
> I can't make SuSE keep the right time on my machine. I can set it with
> one of the
> time servers and then SuSE will change it. Right in the bios. I have
> tried every
> possible configuration of UTC, EDT, etc. etc. that I can think of. It
> will keep
> proper time until I shut down. Next time I boot up....changed....to some
> time that
> has no rhyme or reason.
>
> Anyone else ever had this problem?? Any ideas ???
>
> TIA, Bob Stia, newest Slug.
>
> ----- End forwarded message -----
Formal training is good. But hands-on experience is essential. A man with
a head full of theory is generally at the mercy of a man with a head full
of experience. Don't bemoan the lack of educational certification ... just
go out and get it too.

I started at DOS 2.0 and greatly miss my WordStar 2000. For a couple of
years I taught DOS applications ... and did hardware support for a fleet
of aging 286's. At present, I run a pretty nice home network [ with a
couple of "features" that still need to be ironed out :-)] and am enrolled
in Henry Ford Community college (cis.hfcc.net) for programming courses
and, towards the end of October, CISCO academy. The end result, two years
down the road, should be CISCO cert., A+ cert. and an Associates in
computer science.

Have you tried replacing the onboard battery?

What SEEMS to be happening is that your computer is losing time while on
battery power but doing just fine while the transformer is powering
things. Normally, this indicates that the battery is nearing total
failure. Replace it ... time is not the only thing it is keeping powered.
You COULD, if the situation is allowed to further deteriorate, be in the
market for a new bios and battery ... both of which are available
seperately but generally come with new motherboards. That's the bad news.
The good news is that computer batteries are normally in the $5 range.

Whether from my answer or some other, let the list know what worked. Linux
tech support is not an ivory tower that dispenses wisdom, it is a synergy
that builds on itself. I am describing what has historically worked for
the situations I have faced ... but I have not kept up with the circuits
on all the motherboards manufactured since then ... nor all the bios'
written for those motherboards. My answer, once reliable, may no longer be
true. Your response will assist me just as much as mine might assist you.

Bill

--
icq # 126373831 http://www.anhonestdesire.com