Re: [SLUG] Ist of a dozen questions

From: Robert Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 23:12:34 EDT

Bill wrote:

> On Monday 24 September 2001 00:26, you wrote:
>
> > Now...For my first annoying and insolvable problem.
> >
> > I can't make SuSE keep the right time on my machine. I can set it with
> > one of the
> > time servers and then SuSE will change it. Right in the bios. I have
> > tried every
> > possible configuration of UTC, EDT, etc. etc. that I can think of. It
> > will keep
> > proper time until I shut down. Next time I boot up....changed....to some
> > time that

> Have you tried replacing the onboard battery?

Bill,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, the battery has been replaced. I am afraid I
am remiss in confessing that I am running a dual boot system. My wife
likes her Windoze applications like Word & Quickbooks. (Slowly weaning
her to StarOffice)The point is, that as long as only Windoze boots, the
time is accurate. The problem occurs when I use the machine and boot to
Linux. It changes the time in the bios and then the time is incorrect in
both OS's.

Andrew,
Yes. Used hwclock and set the time on RTC. Then set the system to the
RTC.
Then I shut down and reboot. Clock in the bios is OK. Reboot to SuSE and
the system clock is off something like 4 hours. Shutdown and reboot.
Check
time in bios again and it is off something like 47 minutes. Boot into
Windoze and the time is the same as the bios clock. Off by the 47
minutes.
Shutdown again and reboot into SuSE and the system clock is again off
that
same 4 hours plus.

Then check hwclock and it is off the 47 minutes plus .Can reset the
system
clock and it will reflect the 47 plus minute error. If I repeat the
process
the clock changes again to some other unexplainable time. This is
driving me
crazy, and yes, I suspect it is something with SuSE because this never
happened in Redhat. It seems to have something to do with how long I am
up
and running Linux, like the time picks up from where I left off or
something.

Bob S.