Re: [SLUG] Lilo Boot Manager

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 23:17:00 EDT

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Jason Copenhaver wrote:

> pretty strange install... the SMP refers to a multi processor system the
> UP refers to a uniprocessor system.. why both were installed is beyond
> me..

The control circuits for SMP are present both on some single
and some dual processor Tyan motherboards, without
differentiantion jumpering logic which the Linux kernel can
access to authoratatively access to determine if one or two
CPU's are present.

... I speak politely -- it is a pain in the kiester.

Both kernels are installed (and have been installed since RH
6.1 days) in some instances when it cannot decide. The
sysadmin can recover from an improper SMP deciision with the
(already present) UP kernel and fix up lilo.conf (soon the
GRUB conf).

-- Russ Herrold