[SLUG] Re:Fdisk

From: bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 13:20:44 EDT

Bill ,
Thanks I do not need anyone defending me but I do appreciate you
pointing out to the comments not needed as I was just trying to
help some one on here with their problem.

This seems to be a common thing lately as for bashers to think you have
to slam some one just cause they tell you how you can do something
that does not have to be 100% done with Linux.

Which yes we answer and try to make it

The person asked simply how to simply blast the multiple partitions off the
drive
and wipe it removing Lilo as well like a new drive.

I answered as most of us do still have a dos bootable disk as I do in my
tool kit of
utils. While I admit the DOS 5.0 - 6.22 days were limited. How ever with the
other MS Windoze operating system and even IBM and Caldera DR.Dos they
support
a larger volume size thus was the old fat 16 to a single 2gig limit, and
then fat 32 which
supports much higher volumes!

Now You can repeat You can wipe it with fdisk! and then fdisk/mbr!
I have done this with drives up in the 40 and even 60 gig size!

If you really want a quick way Microslop had a utility called delpart.exe
put
This utility on a Windoze Dos bootable disk it can wipe out Any Type of
OS PARTITION. You can find this using a search engine on the web.

Once you blast these partitions with a few simple menu based key strokes
once gone you save that information. Then reboot off the floppy and
fdisk/mbr it.

No more data or boot manger will be in existence on the drive.
You do not need LOW LEVEL FORMAT!

This takes less then 2 minutes to do.

Now I found this tip out on a Red Hat! Support PAGE about 3 years ago.

Yes back in the days of MFM , RLL and early IDE's this was a common practice
to Low Level format.
How ever you can mess up drives with wrong parameters entered. When someone
who is not familiar
on this you do not suggest such methods.

You can sometimes use the manufactures disk utilities as well. However they
are not needed to clean the drive.

We all have different methods as well doing this! This does not mean that
someone obviously
does not know what they are talking about. If you get offended by another
method other than your own
questioning the persons ability does not constitute slander!

This is my last reply to this subject unless some one wants me to show them
at one of the meetings.

Thanks.
Bill Preece

P.s. If you want to blast me take it to the politics list please no need to
bicker on this one.