Re: [SLUG] Formating HD

From: Bill (selinux@home.com)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 13:40:26 EDT

On Monday 24 September 2001 11:45, you wrote:
> Bill wrote:
> > It doth appear he suffereth from a loose keyboard nut. I, certainly,
> > expect his answers to your questions to be either enlightening or
> > entertaining ... but not both. :-)
>
> I'll admit, he didn't deserve the answer I gave him.
>
> But combine the comments above with some clearly PC/Windows tech
> support that is going on on this list (let alone a few others) and
> I'm starting to wonder how many of us really use Linux here? Linux
> has no such issues with what we are discussing.

Actually, Bryan, I was agreeing with you ... in a tongue-in-cheek fashion.
The term "loose keyboard nut" was in reference to someone claiming to be a
"systems engineer" who is unaware of the limitations of fdisk and also
unable to compose a decent English sentence. You were right to zap him.

If he actually has a solid answer to your queries, I expect to be
enlightened. However, I just now checked to make certain I have a good
supply of popcorn on hand because I am expecting his answer to entertain.

There are plenty of other products in the desktop / PC world that will do
what he suggested (sector translators such as Ontrak come to mind) ... but
he didn't mention those products; only fdisk.

Frankly Bryan, I don't even feel obligated to point MSFT users in the
right direction. As far as I am concerned, the more MSFT problems they
can't solve, the better Linux looks. In this, you were much more generous
than I. You are right, this is a Linux support list. The only overlap that
I can see is in the area of internetworking

My SOHO is heterogenous so I subscribe to a couple of the MSFT related
newsgroups. The question to answer ratio on them is probably >9:1. An
amazing proportion of those posting questions on those lists claim to be
an engineer of some stripe or another. Yet, in my Intro to Unix class, I
sat next to a MCSE who could not answer even simple questions about
networking. Microsoft Certified Software Engineers do not necessarily
"know their stuff".

Microsoft is in the business of selling EULA's and tech support. They have
no stake in providing free anything. Caveat emptor.

--
icq # 126373831 http://www.anhonestdesire.com