Re: [SLUG] Formating HD

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 20:17:09 EDT

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 01:40:26PM -0400, Bill wrote:

> On Monday 24 September 2001 11:45, you wrote:
> > Bill wrote:
> > > It doth appear he suffereth from a loose keyboard nut. I, certainly,
> > > expect his answers to your questions to be either enlightening or
> > > entertaining ... but not both. :-)
> >
> > I'll admit, he didn't deserve the answer I gave him.
> >
> > But combine the comments above with some clearly PC/Windows tech
> > support that is going on on this list (let alone a few others) and
> > I'm starting to wonder how many of us really use Linux here? Linux
> > has no such issues with what we are discussing.
>

> Actually, Bryan, I was agreeing with you ... in a tongue-in-cheek fashion.
> The term "loose keyboard nut" was in reference to someone claiming to be a
> "systems engineer" who is unaware of the limitations of fdisk and also
> unable to compose a decent English sentence. You were right to zap him.
>
> If he actually has a solid answer to your queries, I expect to be
> enlightened. However, I just now checked to make certain I have a good
> supply of popcorn on hand because I am expecting his answer to entertain.

This isn't professional wrestling. It's not the Roman circus, either.

Here's the way it works on THIS list: No personal attacks. No snide
remarks about people's parentage, education or job skills. If you've got
a technical point to make, make it. If you disagree, say so, but do it
nicely and with some class. This isn't the boys' locker room, and I
don't want to referree pissing contests.

No, we're not going to start moderating the list. No one has time for
that. However, I am more than willing to uns*bscr*be people who simply
ignore the list charter, especially in light of list traffic in the last
month or so.

There may be some who disagree with this policy. If you do, you have
three choices: 1) take your flames to the politics list, where flaming
is the norm; 2) subscribe to the SVLUG list (http://www.svlug.org),
which is similar to our politics list, but with some technical content;
3) work to get the list charter changed to allow flaming, ad hominem
attacks and other mayhem.

My apologies to those who have had to put up with this sniping.
Unfortunately, this is the price you pay occasionally for an unmoderated
list. The best thing you can do is exactly what Derek advocated: ignore
abrasive posts and let their threads die. And I'll do what I can about
it from my end.

Paul