Re: [SLUG] Formating HD

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 15:58:19 EDT

"Grantham, Patrick" wrote:
> 3 clones box, all suse
> 2 amd 500mhz
> 1 dual p3 733
> primarily used as samba-nat domain controller/file servers
> clients are windoz (at least until i learn star office)

Cool! Thanx for sharing.

Distro: RedHat 7.1 + XFS 1.0.1
   BITMAN: K7-1.4GHz/512MB/160GB 3Ware RAID-0, dual-head
  HOLDEN2: K7-1.3GHz/512MB/40GB, single-head
TUXNOTE3D: P3-900MHz/256MB/20GB, 15" notebook, dual-head capable
  DILBERT: 2xCel-466MHz/768MB/80GB 3Ware RAID-0+1, headless
 4-SYSTEM: 4U, 4 system rackmount, firewall/incoming/outgoing/IDS
 SMURFEST: Cel-566MHz/256MB/17GB, headless
CANOPENER: WC-200/128MB/5GB, 10" I-Opener

Distro: RedHat 6.2 + Ext3 0.0.6b
 DOGBERT2: P-233/64MB/1GB, headless
FESTER[2]: PPro-200/48MB/13GB, headless

Distro: RedHat 4.2
  CATBERT: dx100/20MB/2GB, 12" notebook+docking

BITMAN is my main workstation that does everything, from gaming to
development. It is dual-headed with 21" and 19" monitors, and has a
3Ware 6200 using 2 x 80GB (5400rpm) in a RAID-0 volume (striping,
160GB usable) -- very fast. I also dual-boot RedHat 6.2 for some
Wireless LAN development.

HOLDEN2 is my wife's main workstation. I'm slowly getting her over
to Linux. She likes StarOffice on Windows, and has required a
Windows 98 reload every 5 months over the past 3 years.

TUXNOTE3D is my kick-@$$ Toshiba Satellite 2805-S402 with the nVidia
Go Mobile chipset. I play UT/Quake3 and other 3-D intensive games
on this thing in the middle of meetings (as LEAPsters will tell you
;-), and show off dual-head capabilities as well as use same-head at
presentations. It also has my latest "ReHACK" mix of RedHat +
JournalingFS kernel + Updates + Ximian Gnome for both RedHat 7.x and
6.x, which I can install over NFS. It can also second as a
temporary NAT server for meetings.

DILBERT is my main NIS/NFS/SMB server, and I'm playing with
LDAP/Kerberos/AFS as well. Abit BP6, dual Celeron 466MHz
processors. Brand new 3Ware 7800 (8-channel) with currently 4 x
40GB 7200rpm disks in hardware RAID-0+1 (stripping + parity, 80GB
usable) -- very fast and redundant.

My new Linux 2.4 stateful firewall (not completely setup yet) is a
4U rackmount, 4 system. It is a 20-slot backplane with 4 single
board computers. It is a prototype for completely controlled
incoming/outgoing access that corporations might find useful. There
are 6 "zones" -- red (Internet), green (LAN), magenta (Wireless
LAN), orange (DMZ), blue (outgoing/caching) and yellow
(incoming/remote access). One system is the firewall itself (with 6
interfaces, 5 NICs and 1 WLAN-NIC), another is an
incoming/remote-access VPN point (built-in "yellow" server), another
is an outgoing/caching server (built-in "blue" server) and the last
system is an intrusion detection system (IDS).

SMURFEST is my pre-TUXNOTE3D InstallFest box that I used for NFS
installs of Linux and a NAT box for meetings. It is a Celey 566MHz
Compaq Presario that looks like an SGI O2. I now use it as a
"dummy" system for installs.

CANOPENER is my I-Opener that I rarely use now that I have
TUXNOTE3D.

DOGBERT2 is my Linux 2.2 stateless firewall.

FESTER/FESTER2 are my pre-SMURFEST InstallFest boxen.

CATBERT is an old TI 486DX100 box that I still use for old LibC 5
binaries and development/testing for old Linux versions and programs
that run on old hardware (that education institutions might still
find useful). I used to use it as a presentation box. It run
RedHat 4.2 and StarOffice 4.0.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413