[SLUG] A hardware challenge!

From: Ed Centanni (ecentan1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 23:31:12 EDT

So far I've gotten *almost* everything on my new refurb Dell Inspiron
5000E laptop working with Linux -- sound, accelerated video, pcmcia,
networking, usb, suspend to disk and hibernate, internal winmodem, dvd,
zip drive, compact flash, etc. I should be very happy...

BUT!

there are two small buttons on the left hand side that are intended to
control speaker volume. They don't work under Linux! They deny me
absolute perfection!!! Yes, I know I can control the speaker volume any
number of other ways, and compared to problems other people have with
Linux on laptops, this is a trivial issue. But I want the buttons to
work or at least a driver that allows me to use them for *something*.
They work under windows so I know the hardware is ok.

Does anyone know if there is Linux support for these buttons. If not,
where can I find information on them that would at least let me attempt
to write a driver. The usual laptop sites came up empty. Not even my
Vast Underground Caverns(tm) of links yielded a single reference to the
needed information (gasp!). If successful writing the driver module
I'll definitely release the code GPL.

The machine is manufactured by OEM Compal (that's where Dell gets them)
and is a Compal model N28W2 variant. The best info I've gotten so far
is here: http://www.envytech.co.uk/5000e/ This link actually mentions
the buttons, describes where they are and why they exist -- but that's
all.

TIA

Ed.