Re: [SLUG] Problems with compactflash

From: Chuck Hast (kp4djt@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 14:15:34 EDT

On Tuesday 25 September 2001 12:10 L, you wrote:

> I've got a PCMCIA CF adapter myself, and since I use it with an IBM
> microdrive, I had to, errr... modify it... by pulling the metal
> casing off of it. It's interesting to note that all it is is a bunch
> of wires that adapt from a CF plug to a PCMCIA plug. So if your CF
> adapter isn't working in your PCMCIA slot, it's likely the CF card
> itself that's the problem since the pcmcia adapter is really only an
> interface adapter with no logic itself. Try another CF device if you
> have one and see if you have the same problems.

OK, I figured about as much from reading about the adapters that
all they did was wire from one connector to the other. Now here is
the interesting thing. I can plug the same device into a laptop and
read it. In fact now that you say it, I think I have a laptop HD with
RH 6.2 , and if I recall it will mount the thing just fine.

Windows can see it, so the adapter appears to be ok. I will check it
all out though again.

> The next step to try is making sure you're using the absolute latest
> pcmcia-cs packages and see if those work.
>
> If not, I really recommend taking it to the pcmcia-cs forums at:
>
> http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/
>
> where I've had great luck getting really quick responses to any
> pcmcia-related issues I've ever had.

I will try that too.

--
Chuck Hast