Re: [SLUG] is this for real?

From: bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Wed Sep 26 2001 - 14:44:16 EDT

>Security Systems Standards and Certification Act.
>A new proposal is being introduced by U.S. Senator Hollings that can
>make it a civil offense to create or sell any type of computer
>equipment that "does not include and utilize certified security
>technologies" approved by the federal government.
>
>As reported by Wired Magazine: "It also creates new federal felonies,
>punishable by five years in prison and fines of up to $500,000. Anyone
>who distributes copyrighted material with "security measures" disabled
>or has a network-attached computer that disables copy protection is
>covered."
>
>The term "certified security technology" means a security technology
>that is certified by the United States Secretary of Commerce. If this
>law is passed, many Open Source applications could become illegal.
>MandrakeSoft asks that all American Linux users please contact your
>representative and let them know how you feel about this dangerous
>proposal.
>http://www.eff.org/congress.html
>
>It's already illegal to view DVDs in Linux; it's another matter to
>outlaw an entire operating system.

What we need is to demand the DOJ to launch a investigation to check any
individual such as the mentioned person and check and see if they hold any
stocks
in Microsoft!

If found holding stocks into such a company make it a criminal act to
campaign
such activities as a attempt to sabotage the market and allowing and
competition
thus creating a monopolistic practice.

Also find out who is behind the campaigns and ideals to promote such a
thing.

Since when is a Political office person capable of making technology laws
without
knowing the market!

Next then we need to launch a campaign that would make huge companies like
Microsoft responsible for encouraging Hackers and Virus programmers whom
they do nothing to prevent this in the Products in which they produce.

BTW whom would be the ones checking the security of the products?
Also are they going to enforce this to where all closed source software
companies
are just as liable?

Such any act of this would create one of the largest problems in the IT
community!

Not to mention it would stop anyone from having a choice of products and
thus
taking away FREEDOM OF CHOICE!