Re: [SLUG] RAM disk ?

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Mon Oct 01 2001 - 00:40:17 EDT

Ron KA4INM Youvan wrote:
> Hi all:
> Anybody know of a RAM disk program that I can use to pre-cash
> stuff I am playing etc. during heavy downloading etc.
> Going to a 1 gig processor with 1 gig of ram (DDR) hasn't cured
> my MP3 stalls. (why doesn't winblows have this problem?)

Sounds like an application-specific issue and not so much of an OS
one. In fact, I find that most Windows applications pre-buffer
because of the "task switching" approach of DOS-based Windows
(Windows 9x/ME) whereas most UNIX applications do not try to
out-smart their true, pre-emptive UNIX OS' kernels.

As far as a "RAMDisk", you can reserve one at boot and mount it just
like any other filesystem. If you don't do it at boot in kernel
space, the Linux kernel will not guarantee any user space allocation
always stays in memory (AFAIK). Usually the Linux kernel is very
good at caching/buffering, especially on workstation/single-user
systems, but there are known issues with the "still maturing" 2.4
kernel.

What kernel, sound card and application are you using?

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith     mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413
Engineer   AbsoluteValue Systems, Inc.   http://www.linux-wlan.org