Re: [SLUG] RAM disk ?

From: Ron KA4INM Youvan (ka4inm@qsl.net)
Date: Mon Oct 01 2001 - 02:13:16 EDT

Hi all:

> Ron KA4INM Youvan wrote: (that's me)

> > Anybody know of a RAM disk program that I can use to pre-cash
> > stuff I am playing ?

> Sounds like an application-specific issue and not so much of an OS
> one. In fact, I find that most Windows applications pre-buffer
> because of the "task switching" approach of DOS-based Windows
> (Windows 9x/ME) whereas most UNIX applications do not try to
> out-smart their true, pre-emptive UNIX OS' kernels.

> As far as a "RAMDisk", you can reserve one at boot and mount it just
> like any other filesystem.

  I had several DOS ramdrive programs that were (more or less TSR's)
that installed ram disks, anytime I wanted to use one. Most came
with memory expansion boards, such as AST. I don't see why this
would be a problem in LINUX, ask for memory, don't give it back,
use it.

> If you don't do it at boot in kernel
> space, the Linux kernel will not guarantee any user space allocation
> always stays in memory (AFAIK). Usually the Linux kernel is very
> good at caching/buffering, especially on workstation/single-user
> systems, but there are known issues with the "still maturing" 2.4
> kernel.

> What kernel, sound card and application are you using?

  SB live value using :
  2.2.16, 2.2.19, 2.4.5 which is broken IMMHO, took me 4 hours
to recover my 40 gig /hda1 after a lockup, get 2 or 3 a day,
I will return to 2.2.19 ASAP.
  Playing .wav, and/or .mp3's with everything I have.
(a nice of -20 helps but I can not have any disk activity
while playing or recording a .wav file or I get skips.
  (both Slackware 7.1 and 8.0, with a 266 mHz/64 meg and
1 gig AMD/1 gig of DDR ram) Becoming disillusioned with
LINUX. (been 100% LINUX since June 1998)

  The raw ram works fine for one file at a time, ( /dev/ram )
how do I create a ram disk that will hold say 64 files at boot
time? I don't recall the subject and I can not find the topic
in any of my books.

  BTW changing mommy boards/CPU/RAM only made a slight
improvement in a few operations, compiling was the only
noticeable speed improvement I could sense, when changed
from 2.2.19 to 2.4.5 everything now takes 1/4 of the
previous time, boot up is 1/2 a minute less time, things
fly by, too bad it locks up and so very often too.
  I also had my very first core dump with LINUX on the screen,
said: the kernel has made a memory allocation out of range
(gave a multi-digit address) said core dump, had all
registers shown, full screen of stuff, modem stopped dead,
keyboard dead, looked to me like OS dead.
  I had to re-compile 1/3 of my added programs to keep them
from locking things up, I will have to re-compile them to
get them to run under 2.2.19, I expect. discouraging!
I am a user not a programmer.

         73 (= Best Regards) de: (= this is) Ron ka4inm@qsl.net
       Please visit my HAM web site at: http://www.qsl.net/ka4inm