Re: [SLUG] StarOffice 6.0 beta is out ...

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 12:16:45 EDT

edoc wrote:
> 1. Do they repeat the error of Netscape in forcing HTML E-mails?

I think Sun may be removing the E-mail client altogether. I'm still
trying to download it myself.

And I have used Netscape [Communicator] 4 and Mozilla Mail 0.6-9.x
and find it extremely easy to disable HTML.

> 2. I seem to recall that an older Windoze version ran like a dog.
> Is the Linux version efficient enough for laptop use?

The problem with StarOffice prior to 6 was the requirement to run
the full SO desktop. This requirement has been removed, so it
should run better on systems with lower amounts of memory.

> 3. Why is Sun doing this? Merely to poke a sharp stick in M$'s
> eye or is there another $$ version with greater functionality?

Huh? Sun bought StarOffice from StarDivision for around $250M to
gain a foothold in both the desktop application and, more relevant
to Sun, web portal application area. Sun always planned to release
the source code, see it developed and then re-package it in a binary
form with VA software. Sun smartly choose the GPL license and that
has paid off (unlike other community trials by Sun).

Sun is also hoping a MacOS port will be done, but no one has joined
the OpenOffice team to help work on it. I, for one, would very much
like to see this happen since MS products, such as Office and IE,
have horrendous file/tag compatibility with their Windows versions.
Especially IE and Excel. IMHO, MS Office on Mac is only good if you
have all Mac users.

With StarOffice, I can not only have the same user pull up his/her
files under Windows, Linux or Solaris, but all their settings are
the same whether I share out their "personal" directory via Samba or
NFS to either OS (or AFS for both). Extending this completely
integrated, cross-platform solution to Mac (and sharing out their
"personal" directory via Appleshare aside NFS/Samba) would really
take away from Microsoft's Office share on Mac.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413
Engineer  AbsoluteValue Systems, Inc.  http://www.linux-wlan.org