Re: [SLUG] StarOffice 6.0 beta is out ...

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 13:55:14 EDT

Anita Pesola wrote:
> Sorry to sound like such an idiot, but....

No one is an idiot for asking a question, only those who answer them
wrong are idiots. ;-PPP

> I've heard several references recently to Solaris. Can
> you tell me something about this--is it an OS, what's it's
> base (freeBSD, or whatever) and is it downloadable?

Solaris 1 is the retroactive name for Sun's BSD variant of UNIX,
also known as SunOS 4.1. The last version of Solaris 1 was SunOS
4.1.4, which is still used in places. Earlier SunOS versions were
also BSD-based. SunOS only runs on Sun's SPARC platform.

Solaris 2 is Sun's AT&T System V variant of UNIX, also known as
SunOS 5. The latest version is Solaris [2.]8, called "Solaris 8"
for short (this was started with Solaris [2.]7). Solaris 2 is
available for both Sun's native SPARC and Intel's x86 platforms.

On the Intel platform, I am not impressed with the performance or
features. SPARC, on the other hand, is a good platform, very
scalable (64+ processors), very high I/O throughput (compared to
Intel's SMP approach) and one heck of a floating point unit
(although the Digital Alpha takes the crown -- with 3 year old
Alphas still toasting Intel's latest Itanium). Solaris/SPARC [2.]7
is a near-"clean" 64-bit version.

Non-commercial licenses of Solaris for both SPARC and Intel are
available.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413