Re: [SLUG] StarOffice 6.0 beta is out ...

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 16:19:53 EDT

Bob Foxworth wrote:
> [Bob Foxworth] Or if not Sun, then HP-UX. The Instructional
> Computing network, for example ( *.ic.sunysb.edu) where I had an
> account several years ago. But TheBS is right, Sun rules the day,
> as far as I can tell.

Bob brings up an additional good point. HP, IBM, SGI and a few
select others also sell scalable RISC/UNIX solutions. So why is Sun
different and more popular at educational institutions?

SunOS libraries and headers are GCC compatible. This means that the
majority of GNU software and other software written to the GNU
Toolchain compiles on Solaris usually unmodified. GCC/GNU
header/library compatibility is very important in an educational
setting.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413