Re: [SLUG] Back to Progeny -- Now No Dialer

From: Scott Piper (piper@ij.net)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 12:48:33 EDT

Try entering

apt-get install pppconfig

and the system will probably use your cdrom since that's all you have
configured now for your package sources (if it doesn't work, you can make sure
that the cdrom source lines in /etc/apt/sources.list are uncommented)

You could also select that and any other package with dselect by doing the
following:

>From the command line as root, enter dselect and then go to install, and
search for pppconfig by entering / then pppconfig. you can mark the package
for installation by the + key, and this will probably also take care of all
the other suggested ppp stuff.

However you install it, run pppconfig as root and set up your connection. You
can then start it by entering pon, stop it by poff, or use a graphical app to
do it for you (I like to use wmppp which is written for WindowMaker - you can
install it with apt-get install wmppp)

Users other than root need to be in the dialout and dip groups (adduser x
dialout will add user x to the group dialout) to access the modem with ppp.

    scott