[SLUG] Back to Progeny -- Now No Dialer

From: edoc (kd4e@arrl.net)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 09:03:08 EDT

OK, reloaded Linux-Debian-Progeny on my uncooperative
HP OmniBook 4100.

The usual sound vs pcmcia conflict is there but I may have the
process for resolving that from a site someone recommended.

Problem right now is that Progeny seems, this time, to have "forgotten"
to load a dialer app. (ppp and other dialers have been loaded on prior
install attempts ... this begins to remind me state of the voodoo Apple OS
in 1996 when their tech support would say "Try loading it again and see
what happens, we really don't know how it works."

Anyhow; with no modem access I cannot dial out and apt-get what I need.
Shall I go the voodoo route and reinstall and hope that the code glitch(es)
trigger the loading of at least one dialer this time?

Or, can someone tell me how to get at what I need using BASH. I'd like
to at least confirm that Progeny is playing nice with my PCMCIA devices,
modem and nic (I know they are Linux compatible).

Thanks! Doc