Re: [SLUG] what would you do?

From: Brian Coyle (brianc@magicnet.net)
Date: Thu Oct 04 2001 - 22:11:57 EDT

"Patrick Grantham (aka. Mr Yahoo)" wrote:

> I discover that a box on the net with the entire C drive shared with
> read/write access? Recall my previous posting "WHAT is this?" What would
> you do to notfy them?

Notify them thru email and normal channels. Notify the upstream ISP
if you cannot locate email/phone numbers for the owner.

*** DO NOT touch the unprotected machine! ***

At the Univ. of Florida ITSA day [1], one of the speakers was Thomas
Sadaka, Special Counsel High Tech. Crimes, Office of Prosecution,
Florida.

He covered Florida Statute 815 - "The Computer Crimes Act".

   http://www.clas.ufl.edu/docs/flcrimes/section2_1_1.html

This law was enacted in 1978 and makes it a third degree felony for
"Whoever
willfully, knowingly, and without authorization accesses or causes to be
accessed any computer, computer system, or computer network; or whoever
willfully, knowingly, and without authorization denies or causes the
denial
of computer system services to an authorized user of such computer
system
services, which, in whole or part, is owned by, under contract to, or
operated for, on behalf of, or in conjunction with another commits an
offense against computer users."

It becomes a second degree felony "If the offense is committed for the
purposes of devising or executing any scheme or artifice to defraud or
obtain any property..."

Yes, that was written in seventy-eight! The law was the first of it's
kind in the country and even though it pre-dates most of the 'home
computer' market and the post-ARPA Internet, it has stood up to the test
of time.

So, unless you want to risk prosecution, leave the crackin' to the
bad guys.

[1] http://www.itsa.ufl.edu/

--
Linux - the ultimate Windows Service Pack