Re: [SLUG] Inexpensive Tape Drive

From: Bill Ehlert (Ehlerts@SoftHome.net)
Date: Thu Oct 04 2001 - 09:15:23 EDT

Hi Seth,

Your plan may work for you, but may take extra money for hardware and suffer
from data transfer or communication problems. It will also take a lot of
your time and may be a problem when it comes time to restore data. Look for
something that a non-technical person can do to backup and RESTORE your
system and its data.

I suggest that you look into using a $20 mobile rack fitted with a 20 to
100GB hard drive for your backups.

My best friend is a dentist and his office has a dozen workstations
connected to a Linux server. He uses a removable 20GB hard drive to do an
incremental backup every day. He has eight mobile rack cartriges that he
rotates each day and parks or saves one for a monthly backup. He takes a
daily backup home and returns to work the next day with an old rack to be
updated with new files.

We use a simple script and MD5 to do the backup and verify that the copy is
good. the dentist also benifits by having current patient records and xray
images at home to help a patient after hours or on the weekend.

Cost is minimal and can be spread over time. We paid about $20 for the
mobile rack and have gotten 20GB drives for $50 on sale at CompUSA. We
bought four to start and over time added to them as we needed, up to about
fourteen now. The dentist has eight for the office. two for his home, and he
gave me four.

Incremental data backup is quick, about 5 min for daily, or 30 min to a
freshly formatted empty drive. We scrub or format a removable backup drive
from time to time and rewrite all files to it.

We keep the operating systems for all workstations on CD-ROM as Norton Ghost
Images. Two CD-ROMs are made for each workstation, one for office and the
other is saved off site at the doctors home.

The backup design was to keep system and data separate and have redundant
backups for office and at home. We wanted to ensure that we could restore
everything in the event of fire, theft, or hardware failure.

We have used the system for over a year and it works. I have trained five
non-technical office personnel and the dentist to use the system. We plan
and do a RESTORE of both workstation and server at least twice a year to
ensure that procedures work and are known by all. I let the dentist or his
office manager do all the work and I stand by for questions if needed.

Mobile racks and cheap hard drives have been good to us. Oh, the drives
don't need to be fast, we use 5400 RPM. The drives are parked or offline
most of the time and are used once at the end of the day or if there is a
thunder storm coming.

Remember, keep it simple so non-techies can do the job, make sure it works
and several people understand the procedure to make it work.

Hope this helps you think of another way to backup and RESTORE your system
and data.

Bill