Re: [SLUG] Inexpensive Tape Drive

From: Seth Hollen (seth@hollen.org)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 14:38:38 EDT

Yesterday I was talking with a friend about paying a company to back up his
data offsite through the net. But the cost was going to be a couple thousand
dollars.
Then it hit me! Host it at his house. He has a cable internetc onnection, the
office has DSL, and the server runs Redhat! I'm goning to take an older PC
from his office and put a larger hard drive on it and redhat. Then I want to
use rsync to keep a perfect copy of the hard drive at his house.
What do you think? I figure a simple script would do it.
Anyone see any downsides to it?

Seth