Re: [SLUG] Throughput on a home lan

From: Derek Glidden (dglidden@illusionary.com)
Date: Sat Oct 06 2001 - 23:03:49 EDT

Bill wrote:

> I have a home lan. How can I measure its actual performance?
>
> Yes, I am clueless and lost in a large galaxy with no direction home and
> only 37 cents for bus fare. Clue me in, please ... I'm getting desperate.
> :-)

That's a pretty difficult question. It's like asking "how fast is it?"

What performance characteristic are you trying to measure? Flat-out
throughput? I've seen a few network benchmarks out there, such as one
called "netbench" (duh :) you could take a look at.

Benchmarks aren't going to really give you a very good measurement of
"real-use" though because there are other factors like how fast the
processor is on each end, how fast the CPU can stuff data into the
network card driver, how well written the driver is, etc.

Try something like ftp'ing a honking big file and see how fast it comes
across. that's close, but it's only accurate for FTP. Samba might be
different and NFS differenter still.

"network performance" in any measurement I've *ever* seen is a very
fuzzy value to try to get your hands around. You can pretty much fudge
anything you want if you're so inclined.

With Microsoft products, failure is not an option --
                                     it's a standard component.
Choose your life.  Choose your future.            Derek Glidden
         Choose Linux.              http://www.illusionary.com/