Re: [SLUG] Sizing Partitions

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Sun Oct 07 2001 - 10:36:38 EDT

Chuck Hast wrote:
> Bryan:
> Thank you for the info. This will only be a SAMBA file server. There will
> be no web stuff, though I will be adding printing later on.

You still have to worry about printing. /var/spool/lpd and
/var/spool/samba can bloat when printing, especially color (but even
some B&W print jobs can eat 100MB+ temporarily). On a server, you
want to make sure you've got plenty of space for /var, as well as
/home.

> I also found a 2.5G Hd which I am thinking of using at the OS drive and
> will obtain the cash to get a 20-30G HD.
> Going that route how would you set up the partitions based on a 2.5G
> and 30G (I purchased a 30G HD at the computer show the other day
> for $89) HD?

Yeah. You'd have a lot more room to work with in that situation.
I'd do something like:

2.5GB HD:
   swap 512MB
   (spare) 512MB
   / 512MB
   /tmp 512MB
   /var 512MB

20-30GB HD:
   swap 512MB
   (spare) 512MB
   /var/spool 2048MB
   (spare) 2048MB
   /usr 2048MB
   /home rest (13-23GB)

You'll note I'm big on two things, same partition sizes and spare
partitions. This allows me to move around partitions if necessary,
add another directory/partition (e.g., I may need a 2GB /usr/local,
or /var/log later on), or create an extra boot partition (if I want
to try another distro, etc..., or maybe a DOS partition for booting
for BIOS/firmware updates).

On a server, I really like to separate out any partitions that I
know need space. This is especially true of /var/spool on a print
server. Same would be true of /var/www on a web server (some older
distro versions use /home/httpd), etc...

This is just how I do it. You don't need to follow my examples.
But I do highly recommend separating out /tmp and /var when you have
the room to do it.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith     mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413